Brian Bortell is the President, Chairman, and CEO of Timmons Group. In his role, Brian is responsible for setting the strategic direction for the 700+ person firm and overseeing the firm’s four operating divisions and 18 offices across the country. Brian has the unique advantage of having been with Timmons Group for over three decades, starting his career with the company as an entry level engineer and serving in his current role for the past 16 years. Under his leadership, Timmons Group has achieved significant and sustained growth, landing the firm on the Inc. 5000 list of the Fastest Growing firms in the United States for the past six years.
He received his master’s in business administration from Averett University and his BS in Civil Engineering from Virginia Tech. Brian is a registered professional engineer in Virginia where he is affiliated with the American Society of Civil Engineers, Water Environment Federation, and the Virginia Society of Professional Engineers.
Brian lives in Chesterfield County, Virginia and has two grown children. Over the years, Brian has distinguished himself as an endurance athlete by running in over 20 marathons and competing in more than 100 triathlons. He has qualified for, and raced in, the Hawaiian Ironman on numerous occasions. He is active in both the local Road Runners Club and Richmond Triathlon Club.
- Favorite meal? Any meal that includes dessert
- Something about you many people don’t know? In addition to our two labs, my wife and I regularly foster dogs from the Richmond Animal League.
- Dream vacation destination? A safari in South Africa
- If you weren’t a civil engineer and company CEO, what would you be? A high school basketball coach
- Favorite book? Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand