The Virginia Information Technology Agency (VITA) and the Chief Information Officer of the commonwealth contracted with Timmons Group for the development of a Strategic RoadMap for the provision and operation of enterprise GIS services for the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Our project objectives were to evaluate the current information technology resources and uses in the Commonwealth, provide a comprehensive inventory of geospatial information systems resources in 20 Virginia State Agencies, evaluate technical issues that could impact the delivery of services, make recommendations for improvement in operations, existing resource usage, IT infrastructure, data maintenance and identify metrics to measure service delivery performance. The result of this project was a comprehensive analysis and GIS RoadMap that guided future geospatial information technology infrastructure use within the Commonwealth.
- Development of questionnaires
- Conducting meetings with key stakeholders and operational personnel
- Research, analysis, and reporting on “best practices” from other states
- Analysis and assessment of existing technology applications (uses), data resources, and IT infrastructure (hardware / software / networking)
- Analysis and assessment of technical skill requirements and the existing staff resource ability to meet the requirements in a timely manner
- Development of recommendations for improvements in process, data, and infrastructure to reduce cost, improve services and increase systems reliability and security
- Meetings with individual state agencies
- Community meetings
- Analysis reports and spreadsheets
- Powerpoint presentations for community meetings
- Summary powerpoint presentations of project results