April 17, 2012
Timelines Becoming Shorter and Shorter in Economic Development Deals
By: Joe Hines, PE, MBA
As discussed in previous posts, with both the Amazon and Caterpillar deals, the ability to have permits in hand and start construction almost immediately were key drivers in those projects. Here are some recent regional project announcements, from the initial contact of the locality until project announcement.
- Ace Hardware East Coast re-distribution center – 4 months
- Backcountry.com fulfillment center – 9 months
- Rolls-Royce Crosspointe Centre Manufacturing campus – 9 months
- Amazon.com fulfillment centers – 5 months
- Caterpillar production facilities – less than 3 months
These 5 projects alone represent almost $870 million of investment and over 3,500 jobs announced.
As Vince Lombardi used to say “Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!”